Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Moment-Forming and Momente reading

First off I found the lecture quite hard to digest. I flipped to parts multiple times and this is what I got from it. Stockhausen’s Momente is a type of organized randomness composition. Organized is an understatement. He devised a system that’s divided into 3 main parts the M, D, I and K moments. Which represent, instrumental randomness, durations, pure randomness and vocal randomness(?). The these 3 main combined branches slit and divide more intricate creating sub branches of each other like K(m) moment. This seemed like a type of equation to me. As if Stockhausen had a formula he was following. It became clearer when he gave examples to what these variables he labeled represented. These moments follow specific rules of order and sequence. The result from this is an intended random discord that follows, that once the guidelines are set in place, Stockhausen lets them go where they will.

The heterophonic event was a bit confusing. I think he was trying to create the opposite of a symphonic event? Where the instruments and vocals do not harmonize or synchronize rather repel and create discord? For instance he gave the each male in the choir certain sounds like Oh! Pooh! and others to randomly say during their time, as well as specified pitches to do them at. I like the fact that he gives them a choice here. In a way by adding this human element of choice in his composition, they too are collaborating with Stockhausen to create and carry out his composition.

Another part that confused my was the pure K moments, where Stockhausen says give and take the least, but also give and take the most. He also quotes that he wants the moments to have as little in common as possible and makes an effort to see this through. Also his large M-components of “statistical randomness” went over my head.

I enjoyed his anecdote in the end and his detailed description of the score. It really makes me want to hear it in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment